Do your kiddies like Vegemite and cheese scrolls? They will love this Cheese and Vegemite Twist if so! My boys love this twist and request it all the time. It’s great for a weekend lunch or to be popped in to the lunchbox in place of a sandwich.
A little tip: If you are finding your Vegemite to hard to spread pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to soften it.
Making dough without a thermo mixer is easy! Simply use your hands to combine the ingredients and form a smooth dough. You will knead it for about 5 minutes. Its a great workout for those arms! Follow the remaining instructions.
- 450g lukewarm water
- 750g bakers flour
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of bread improver, optional
- 200g cubed cheese of choice, I used cheddar or tasty
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of Vegemite, more or less to suit your tastes
- Add the ingredients in this order: water, yeast, flour, improver and salt.
- Blitz on speed 7 for 6 seconds to roughly combine.
- Lock lid and use the kneading function for 6 mins.
- Remove dough and place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and place into a warm spot. I use the front seat of my car or a warmed oven.
- Leave this to rise for approximately an hour or until doubled.
- Place cheese into the bowl. Blitz on speed 7 for 5-7 secs. Don't be worried if there are still larger chunks of cheese as it cooks down. Blitz finer if preferred however.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll the risen dough out into a large rectangle approximately 1cm thickness. I just use my palm to do this.
- Top with Vegemite and then cheese. It doesn’t need to perfect or even.
- Roll the dough up tightly into a sausage/log shape.
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut down the middle of the log shape to form two thinner logs. See photo.
- Press the top sections together to secure and start to twine the two pieces together by twisting one log around the other. Be sure to leave the cut side up for a nice visual effect once cooked. It doesn't need to be perfect. Rustic looks just as good once cooked.
- Seal the bottom ends together once it is all twisted.
- Let it rest for 15-30 minutes if possible.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bread improver is optional however will help ensure your loaf is nice and soft.
- This is a huge twist that will serve up to 8 adults. You can halve this recipe.
- If you are finding your Vegemite to hard to spread pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to soften it.