This is the most basic of recipes and ideas but it is a huge hit in our house yet so easy and quick, not to mention tasty! I have a house full of cinnamon lovers so this always goes down well.
Never throw those off cuts of puff pastry out when making pies or similar. My family loves pie night as they know this will often be the dessert.
The dippers are delicious and crunchy and the custard has a nice hint of cinnamon without being too overbearing.
Oh another puff pastry tip? When buying store bought pastry, save the blue or clear plastic sheets that are between each layer. These are great to layer between homemade tortillas or wraps when freezing.
Love this recipe? Why not subscribe to the magazine! Don’t forget you can also subscribe to my daily recipe newsletter and never miss a newly posted recipe just as great as this one! Or join up to our monthly one for all the latest TRTLMT news. Subscribe to my newsletter here.
- 500g milk
- 90g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 40g plain flour
- Pastry off cuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle off cut pastry with cinnamon sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed up.
- Meanwhile, place all custard ingredients into bowl.
- Cook at 90 degrees, speed 4 for 9 minutes.
- Serve custard in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon if desired.
- Serve with dippers on the side.