These are a great afternoon tea idea when friends are popping over. I always have these ingredients in the house so whipping them up is never too hard.
They make a great little bite size treat for afternoon teas, high teas, baby showers etc. They even look nice in a lovely box and gifted. You can certainly make them a bigger dessert size if preferred.
- Make creme patisserie from the EDC. You will only need 1/4 - 1/2 of the custard for this recipe.
- Let custard cool (place damp paper towel over the top to avoid a skin forming).
- Cut shapes out of thawed puff pastry. I use two sheets. I use bite size shapes as shown in the photo for easy eating.
- Bake until slightly golden. Let cool.
- Cut the puff pastry on half to have a bottom and a "lid".
- Place custard on one half. Top with a lid.
- Sprinkle custard puffs with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately or within an hour or two to endure pastry is still crisp.
- Works just as well with a thick chocolate custard or experiment with different essences or flavourings.
- Substitute icing sugar for drizzled white chocolate.
- Don't have icing sugar? Make your own easily in your Thermomix. Speed 9 for 1 minute gives me a great consistency for dusting.