I don’t really like hot cross buns (crazy right?). I don’t really like sultanas. I don’t really like spice generally. This was going to be an epic fail but had to try it regardless. Yum-o! I’m not going to admit how many of these little babies I’ve eaten tonight (and how many sultanas I’ve picked out!). These are a deliciously soft cookie with a good kick of spice.
You could leave the sultanas out if you like or substitute easily with choc chips. You can add a sugar glaze over the top if you like for a nice shine. Simply combine 1 tablespoon each of sugar and boiling water with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Mix well to melt the sugar and brush the hot syrup over a cold cookie. The cookie must be cold before doing this.
These were so easy that Mr 4 and 5 year old helped make them. The crosses were their favourite bit to do of course!
Love this recipe? Subscribe to the TRTLMT newsletter and never miss a recipe just as great as this one! Or join up to our monthly one for all the latest TRTLMT news. Subscribe to my newsletter here.
Hot Cross Cookies
- 200g butter
- 70g brown sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 70g sultanas
- 50g white cooking chocolate, broken up into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter and sugar into bowl. Speed 3 until combined.
- Add spices and flour. Speed 5 until crumbly. Have a taste of the dough and add more spice if desired. How it tastes now is a pretty good indication of how it will taste once cooked.
- Add the egg and continue mixing for approximately 20 seconds or until a dough starts forming.
- Add sultanas. Mix on Speed 3 until just combined. This will only be a few seconds. You can use your spatula to help it combine if needed.
- Roll mixture into 24 small balls. Place balls onto the baking trays leaving space between. There is no need to press them down etc. Leave them as is so they resemble a round bun shape once cooked.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing biscuits from the tray and allowing to cool on a wire rack completely before icing.
- Using a clean and dry bowl, add the white chocolate pieces. 5 minutes / 60C / Speed 2.
- Place melted chocolate into a zip lock bag. Snip the corner and place a cross on each cookie .
- Allow chocolate to set, then serve. Store in an airtight container for up to four days.
The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer http://trtlmt.com.au/