This tastes delicious! I’m actually surprised how good it tastes. There is a lovely smokey bacon taste to it with a rich tomato flavour as well. I love all the hidden veggies in this as well.
I’ve made this in advance for tonight’s dinner as it will reheat well. It made quite a bit so I have placed the leftovers in the freezer for a quick reheatable dinner for another night. It thaws and reheats well.
Sausage and Red Lentil Casserole
A favourite in our house. the flavours are indescribable.
- 8 sausages
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 large zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 6 slices short cut bacon, diced
- 10g olive oil
- 100g water
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 or 2 large tablespoons vegetable stock paste, to taste
- 50g dried red lentils
- Cracked pepper
- Place sausages in the large varoma bowl. Set aside for now.
- Place carrot and zucchini in the bowl. Blitz on speed 8 for 5 secs. Place into a bowl and set aside. You could use any vegetables you like at this stage.
- Place onions, leek and garlic into bowl. Blitz on speed 9 for 5 secs. Scrape down. Repeat.
- Add bacon and oil. Place steaming attachment tray on top
- Cook at 100 degrees, 5 minutes, reverse, speed 2.
- Once done take the steaming attachment off, add carrot and zucchini mix, water, lentils, tomatoes, pepper and stock to bowl and put the steaming attachment back in place.
- Cook at steaming temperature, 15 minutes, reverse, speed 2.
- Once done remove the steaming attachment tray. Remove skins from sausages and slice.
- Attach the whisk attachment to the bowl.
- Add the sausages. Cook at 100 degrees, 5 minutes, reverse, speed 1.
- I put the sausage mixture in an insulated server, wash the bowl out and make EDC mash to serve it on.
- You could serve this over rice, pasta, cous cous etc instead. You can also steam additional vegetables along with the sausages to serve on the side of needed.
- Those with a Thermomix will know their steaming temperature as Varoma temperature. Other machines will know it as the steaming or ST temperature.
- Those with a Thermomix will know their steaming attachment as a Varoma. Other machines will know it as the steamer.
The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer http://trtlmt.com.au/