Who doesn’t love anything apple and cinnamon? Yesterday whilst making my Chocolate Caramel Tarts I thought I’d get creative and make some apple one for my partner. These Apple Pie Pods were born. He loooooves anything with apple and cinnamon so I was sure these would be a hit. I was right. He loves them.
Whilst they may sound fiddly they are so easy. You can have these babies in the table to serve in under 30 minutes.
You can certainly use other fruits like pear. They would work extremely well in this. Or why not add some berries to the mix. Apple and blackberry would be delicious. Your imagination is endless.
For all you fans of Your Inspiration At Home, your Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie or Gingerbread Spice would all work really well in these in place of regular cinnamon.
Instructions are included in the below recipe for everyone, regardless of owning a tmx or not.
- Tart shells
- 140g plain flour
- 70g brown sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 120g butter, cubed
- 4 large apples peeled,quartered and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 40g sliced almonds
- 40g shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin tray. You may wish to use a silicone form. This will be easier to remove the tarts from.
- Place all tart shell ingredients into tmx bowl.
- Blitz on speed 5 for 30 seconds or until a dough forms. Sometimes it takes slightly longer depending on butter temperature.
- Alternatively, use a food processor to form the dough if you do not have a tmx. Process on high until a dough forms.
- Press a small ball of dough into each muffin hole. It only needs to be a few millimeters in thickness.
- Bake until golden brown. This will be about 10 minutes but watch them throughout the baking process.
- You may need to use the back of a spoon just to push the shell back into shape if it puffs up too much during baking. I only had to with one or two shells.
- Allow to cool completely and remove from tray. You may need to use a knife to release the tart from the tin.
- Whilst the shells are cooking, place the almonds and coconut onto an oven tray and bake until slightly toasted.
- Once toasted, place into tmx bowl and turbo once very quickly to break up the crumb slightly.
- Alternatively, use a food processor to form the crumb if you do not have a tmx.
- Place all ingredients into bowl.
- Cook on 100 degrees, reverse, spoon soft for 2 minutes. If you want them softer you can cook for an extra few minutes. See note.
- Alternatively, place the apples into a microwave dish with lid and steam for 2 minutes.
- Place a little apple filling into each shell and sprinkle with some of the crumb.
- Serve warm or cold with a drizzle of cream.
- Some people prefer to cook the apples for 8 minutes.