The other day I went to make some Tortillas for dinner and realised I had run out of olive oil.
Never fear! Coconut oil to the rescue! I used a unrefined virgin coconut oil so it has a delicious coconut flavour. These coconut flavoured wraps work really well with curry or tandoori chicken/tofu/vegetables.
My partner said he preferred these over my normal ones. Big call buddy!
You can vary the flavour of the wraps by adding some extra herbs or spices to the mix too. I find a nice onion or garlic blend work well.
The 4 Blades have a great gluten free option that I have heard great things about. I’m yet to try it.
Coconut Oil Tortillas
A great coconut flavoured wrap to use with curries or spiced shredded chicken for a quick lunch or dinner.
- 335g bakers flour
- 170g water
- 40g coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Place everything into the tmx bowl.
- Blitz on speed 6 just to slightly combine.
- Lock lid and press interval speed for 2 minutes or until a smooth, ball like dough is formed. Add a little extra flour if needed.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove from bowl. Divide your dough into 6-8 pieces. The amount varies depending on size you want. Roll more or less as desired. I have found 6-8 work well for us.
- Using a little flour to dust, roll out your dough into thin circles. My shape is a bit rustic. You want it only a few millimeters in thickness so they cook quickly and evenly.
- I rolled all my 6-8 balls before commencing the cooking process.
- Place a large frying pan on a medium heat. Once warm place a tortilla on it.
- Once they start bubbling it's often a good time to flip.
- You will only need to cook for a minute or so each side but keep an eye on them so they don't burn. You want them to be cooked but still flexible.
- I find the first one of the batch will be hard but I just place it on a plate and pop the others on top as they are cooked. Keeping them in one pile with a tea towel over keeps them soft and flexible.by doing this I find they stay soft all day.
- These can be frozen. Just thaw and warm before eating.
The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer https://trtlmt.com.au/