My boys love meatballs so I pack these with as much veg as I can. I usually put in vegetables that they don’t like as is such as spinach, capsicum and leeks.
I pop these in the freezer raw and then take them straight from the freezer, pop them in a pyrex dish and pour over a tomato based sauce. I also freeze them after they have been cooked (without a sauce) and reheat quickly in the oven and serve with salad.
- 500g lean mince
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion or leek, roughly chopped
- A few sprigs of parsley
- A few sprigs of basil
- 300-400g veggies of choice (Use whatever veggies you have on hand. My meatballs vary every week depending what is left in the fridge. Celery, carrots, zucchini, spinach, capsicum, herbs, potato all work well).
- Place everything except mince into the bowl and blitz on speed 9 for 10 seconds. Scrape down and blitz on speed 9 for 10 secs.
- Add mince and turbo 5 times or until combined.
- Roll into balls. If you are finding it hard to roll in a ball just add a little breadcrumbs to the mix. Depending on the veg you use the meatballs may be a bit “wet” (Zucchinis and celery release a bit of liquid).
- Bake at 180 degrees for approximately 25 minutes with or without a sauce.
- If you are using your own homemade mince you may need to add some breadcrumbs to this to bind the meatballs.