My boys looooooove sausage rolls and I often make chicken ones (lots on the recipe index) but thought Id try something different earlier this week. These Veggie Bam Sausage Rolls were a massive hit!
These sausage rolls have a big portion of veggies in them but still has a high meat ratio for all those meat eaters. The vegetables are actually quite tricky to spot.
I love these because it has veggies in the mix that my kiddies wouldn’t eat normally as is. You can vary the vegetables you use. Spinach, capsicum and celery are always good additions.
I made up a full batch and froze half of these after cooking for last minute lunchboxes or dinners.
I have used Herbamare in the filling of these. It is salt enriched with vegetables and herbs so gives it a great flavour boost. You could use some vegetable stock concentrate if you prefer.
I also have Vegetable and Cheese Rolls for those wanting a vegetarian option.
These are very easy to make without a thermo mixer. You can use a food processor or simply finely chop or grate your veggies and mix them in to the meat mixture with your hands and follow the remaining instructions.
- 500g good quality sausage meat (or a mix of 250g each of pork and beef mince)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 150g carrots, roughly chopped
- 140g sweet potato, roughly chopped
- 80g white potato, quartered and skin on
- 80g cauliflower florets
- 120g broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon Herbamare salt
- 3 slices of multigrain bread that has been soaked in water and excess squeezed out
- 4 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg, for brushing on the top
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Thaw out puff pastry.
- Place all veggies into bowl.
- Blitz on speed 7 for 5 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Blitz on speed 5 until just combined.
- Layer meat mix on puff pastry. I get two long rolls out of each sheet and cut into a total of twelve rolls. I get 36 rolls in total with this recipe.
- Brush with egg and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This post contains an affiliate link. I have affiliate relationships with some businesses. This means that I receive a small percentage of sales made through these links from the business. This does not cost or affect you or your purchase. I use this money to help with the costs involved with running my website. More can be found on my Disclosure page.