I am often asked about what recipes I have on the blog that are great for freezing. Believe it or not, most of mine are freezer friendly!
Some of my freezing tips for cooked foods:
- Cool foods before you freeze them. Placing hot food straight into a freezer only brings the core temperature of the freezer down and also encourages ice build up on the food as its cools and freezes.
- Wrap and store the food item well before placing into the freezer to prevent freezer burn – it isn’t pretty and makes the food taste pretty average.
- Freeze smaller portions for quicker thawing.
- Label everything that goes into the freezer with a name and date it has been placed in there.
- A full freezer is more economical to run than a semi full one. Who would have thought!?
- Defrosting foods at room temperature encourages bacteria growth, so defrost in the fridge or microwave.
- When in doubt, chuck it out. Don’t thaw, reheat and consume and anything that may look or smell odd.
What can be frozen?
- Bread, doughs and pastry
- Cakes (even buttercream icing!), muffins, pancakes and the like
- Blanched fruit and veg
- Butter and milk
- Veggie based sauces
What cant be frozen?
- Watery veggies like lettuce and cucumber unless using in a green smoothie
- Fruits like watermelon unless using in a green smoothie or in ice blocks or juice or slushies.
- Cream or egg based sauces
- Potatoes tend to get very mushy after freezing
I always make sure I have a few staples in the freezer for easy meal prep. I always like to keep pizza dough, tomato paste and cheese in the freezer for a quick dinner. Ham, bacon, shredded beef and shredded chicken freeze really well so freeze in batches for a straight forward dinner.
- Grating Cheese
- Pasta Dough
- Quick Herb and Garlic Butter
- Roasted Capsicum and Tomato Paste
- Amatriciana Sauce
- Bacon Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Chunky Veggie Sauce
- Shredded Chicken
- Shredded Garlic Beef
- Tomato Roast Capsicum Sauce
Bread and Bread Snacks
You can either freeze these whilst in the raw dough state or as a baked bread. Ensure you store them well by wrapping in cling film, a layer of aluminum foil and then into an air tight container to prevent freezer burn. Trust me, freezer burn is not delicious.
- 6 Seed Bread
- Bread Pull Apart Plait
- Bread Rolls
- Fancy Bread Rolls
- Cheese and Bacon Bread Balls
- Cheese and Bacon Bread Rolls
- Cheese and Herb Bread Twist
- Cheese and Vegemite Twist
- Cheesy Herb Pull Apart
- Cheesy Garlic Squares
- Coconut Oil Wraps
- Easy Pizza Pull Apart
- Garlic and Herb Wraps
- Garlic Butter Rolls
- Garlic Cheese Bread Balls
- Garlic Parmesan Twists
- Herb Elephant Ears
- Herbed Cob Loaf
- Hot Cross Buns
- Hot Cross Loaf
- Paprika and Garlic Wraps
- Parmesan Garlic Bread Wheel
- Pizza Wheels
- Soft Fluffy Bread Rolls
- Spinach and Cheese Wreath
- Spinach Wraps
- Sun Dried Tomato Pull Apart
Our freezer is always stocked with pancakes and pikelets not only for an easy breakfast but for delicious lunchbox additions.
- Apple Pancakes with Caramel Sauce
- Banana Honey Pikelets
- Cinnamon Oat Pancakes
- Cinnamon Scroll Pancakes
- Fluffy Vanilla Pikelets
- Nutella Pancakes
- Orange Poppyseed Pikelets
- Oven Pancake Bites with Honey and Cinnamon
- Pancake Dippers
Entrees, bit size, one handed foods
Many of these are great frozen either raw or after baking and stored in the freezer. Simply cook or reheat when required for a quick and easy dinner.
- Parmesan Garlic Chicken Strips
- Parmesan Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Chicken Kiev
- Chicken Fingers
- Chicken Broccoli Nuggets
- Honey Mustard Chicken Bites
- Chicken and Quinoa Patties
- Chicken and Vegetable Meatballs
- Chicken and Bacon Meatballs
- Cheese Filled Chicken and Sweet Potato Meatballs
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Cheese and Broccoli Filled Chicken “Duets”
- Cheese Filled Meatballs with Steamed Vegetables
- Hidden Veggie Meatballs
- Honey Soy Meatballs and Dipping Sauce
These are best baked and then frozen. Simply reheat in the oven to crisp up and warm through.
- Chicken and Carrot Sausage Rolls
- Chicken and Roasted Capsicum Sausage Rolls
- Chicken and Vegetable Sausage Rolls
- Thai Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Thai Coconut Chicken Parcels
- Vegetable and Cheese Rolls
These meals are best frozen after cooking once cooled and reheated thoroughly before serving.
- Asparagus Chicken
- Cathy’s Satay Chicken
- Chicken and Asparagus Risotto
- Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Chicken and Vegetable Fettuccine
- Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pasta
- Chicken, Bacon and Leek Risotto
- Chicken, Broccoli and Snow Pea Pasta
- Chicken Meatball Bake
- Chicken, Mushroom and Bacon Parcels
- Chicken Spinach and Pumpkin Lasagne
- Garlic Pepper Chicken
- Garlic Soy Chicken “Fried Rice”
- One Chicken Breast: Two Family Sized Meals
- Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Creamy Basil and Cashew Pesto Sauce – freeze chicken and sauce separately.
- Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Creamy Garlic Sauce – freeze chicken and sauce separately.
- Proscuitto Wrapped Chicken with Roasted Capsicum and Basil Sauce – freeze chicken and sauce separately.
- Steamed Chicken Breast with Honey Mustard Sauce – freeze chicken and sauce separately.
- Tarragon Chicken
- Tuscan Chicken and Spinach Pasta
- Teriyaki Chicken “Fried Rice”
- Capsicum and Bacon Spaghetti
- Creamy Ham and Spinach Pasta
- Frozen Pizzas and Garlic Bread
- Hidden Veggie Pasta Cabonara
- Hidden Veggie Quiche
- Mini Calzones
- Pie Maker Quiches
- Pizza Pockets
- Pizza Pops
- Pizza Wheels
- Three Cheese and Silverbeet Filo Pie
- 20 Minute Beef Stroganoff
- Fajitas with Paprika Garlic Wraps – freeze beef and wraps separately
- Garlic Beef Stirfry
- Garlic Beef Turkish Pide
- Vera’s Meatloaf with BBQ Sauce
- Veggie Packed Beef Nachos (mince only)
- Tortilla Pie
- Savoury Mince and Red Lentils
- San Choy Bow (mince only)
- Quick Sticks Macaroni Beef
- Mini Meat Pies
- Mince and Veggie Spaghetti Bake
- Lamb and Zucchini Mince with Cous Cous
- Curried Mince and Rice
- Curried Beef and Vegetable Pies
- Chunky Style Bolognese
- Bolognese Gnocchi Bake
- Beef, Spinach and Feta Gozleme
- Beef Sliders – freeze patties and buns separately
- Beef and Brown Rice Burgers
- Cheats Curried Sausages
- Sausage and Bean Casserole
- Sausage and Red Lentil Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Tuna Pasta
- Tuna and Veggie Packed Pasta Bake
Soups are ideal for freezing. Simply make, cool and freeze. Simple as that. Freeze in family sized or individual size portions for a quick lunch or dinner.
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Soup
- Bacon and Red Lentil Soup
- Broccoli and Cannellini Bean Soup
- Curried Pumpkin and Red Lentil Soup
- Potato and Bacon Soup
Freeze cracker dough for baking at a later date. Simply thaw, roll, cut and bake. Homemade crackers have never been easier!
- Cheese and Bacon Crackers
- Cheesy Herb Crackers
- Olive Oil Crackers
- Rosemary Garlic Crackers
- Sour cream and Chive Crackers
- Spinach Flatbread Crackers
Whilst I don’t freeze these recipes many of my readers do and say they thaw well.
- Apple and Peach Pie Balls
- Apricot Balls
- Apricot Bites
- Caramello Balls
- Choc Apricot Balls
- Choc Peppermint Balls
- Coconut and Lime Balls
- Mars Bar Balls
- Milo Balls
- Mini Fruit Balls
- Raspberry Filled Chocolate Balls
- Tim Tam Truffles
- Tropical Fruit Balls
Did you know you can actually freeze biscuits either in the raw dough state or once baked? If storing raw dough simply roll it into a sausage shape, wrap in baking paper followed by a layer of cling film and then aluminum foil. If freezing once baked simply cool, then freeze in a single layer in a freezer proof container.
- 2 Ingredient “Cookies”
- Almond Buttons
- Banana, Peanut Butter and Oat Biscuits
- Chewy M&M Cookies
- Chocolate Chickpea Cookies
- Chocolate Teeny Teddies
- Crunchy Coconut Cookies
- Easter Biscuits
- Frozen Biscuit Dough Balls
- Granola Cookies
- Hot Cross Cookies
- Lunchbox Biccies
- Milo and Flaxseed Cookies
- Orange and Honey Cookies
- Peanut Butter Honey Cookies
- Pumpkin Choc Chip Cookies
- Raspberry Filled Shortbread
- Spiced Shortbread Cookies
- Teeny Teddies
- Weetbix Biscuits
- White chocolate and Macadamia Shortbread
Breads and Loaves
I wrap these in individual portions and simply pull out in the morning and place straight into the lunchbox. They thaw in time for morning tea and lunch. You can freeze these in whole loaf form too.
- 10 Second Coconut Bread
- 10 Second Coconut Rough Loaf
- 30 Second Banana Bread
- 30 Second whole Lemon Loaf
- Cinnamon Donuts
- Cinnamon Loaf
- Honey Loaf
- Sweet Pumpkin Loaf
Cakes and Brownies
I wrap these in individual portions and simply pull out in the morning and place straight into the lunchbox. They thaw in time for morning tea and lunch. You can freeze whole.
Muffins and Cupcakes
I wrap these in individual portions and simply pull out in the morning and place straight into the lunchbox. they thaw in time for morning tea and lunch.
- 90 Minute Muffin Bites
- Apple Crumble Muffins
- Apple Pumpkin Cakes
- Banana and Milo Muffins
- Banana Honey Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Choc-nana Muffins
- Freezer Muffin Mix
- Fruit Filled Cereal Bars
- Lemon and Chia Muffins
- Rainbow Cupcakes
- Raspberry Coconut Muffins
- Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to our daily recipe newsletter and never miss a newly posted recipe or resource just as great as this one! Or join up to our monthly one for all the latest TRTLMT news. Subscribe to my newsletter here.
Don’t forget to hang out with us in all the cool places!