This is my all time favourite salad. I looooove potato salad. I could quite happily eat this every single night all through summer with grilled chicken. This is my famous potato salad. Im often asked to bring this along to BBQs and the like by friends.
I had actually cooked this for The 4 Blades magazine for our upcoming Christmas issue but we have waaaaaaay too many recipes so had to cull some. On the blog it goes!
You can certainly leave the bacon out if you would like a vegetarian potato salad (leave the eggs out too if desired). I cook my bacon in a frying pan on the stove as I love crispy, crunchy bacon in this salad to give it a great flavour. You can actually steam it in the top of your steaming attachment for the last 15 minutes or so of steaming if preferred.
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and diced (look for ones designed for potato salad)
- 6 slices shortcut bacon
- 7 eggs
- 4 spring onions, sliced on a diagonal
- 200g sour cream
- 200g good quality whole egg mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced extra
- Fill the bowl up with hot water.
- Place eggs into rice basket. Put into place in the bowl.
- Place diced potatoes into the bottom and top steaming attachment trays.
- Cook 22 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4.
- Meanwhile, place bacon into a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook until slightly crispy.
- Allow to cool and tear up with hands. You can dice with a knife if preferred.
- Add to a large serving bowl along with spring onions, sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Remove your egg basket from the bowl.
- Stir potatoes with a large spoon to ensure even steaming.
- Continue to cook the potatoes 10 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4.
- Peel your eggs and dice them.
- Add to mayonnaise mix.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add to the mayonnaise and mix gently to combine.
- Cover bowl with cling film and place in the fridge to cool. The trick to this potato salad is making it the night before you want to serve it. The time allows all the flavours to develop and the potatoes to soak up all the dressing.
- Before serving, mix the salad with a spoon, season and sprinkle with extra shallots.
- If you don't have a tmx, simply boil your eggs in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Cover with water and boil for approximately 10 minutes.
- You can steam your potatoes using your preferred method or boil for 18 minutes on the stove in a large saucepan over medium heat.