I recently attended a Varoma Cooking Class (add it to your “to do” list! They are great and we really dont use our steaming attachments enough) and tried a green smoothie for the first time. No it wasn’t cooked in the Varoma however it was part of the menu and a great way to show how the tmx can juice and make smoothies.
What is a green smoothie?
The short answer? A drink full of lots of goodness in the form of fruits and greens with a little liquid of choice thrown in!
A Smoothie Guide
There are so many different ideas and guides out there. I have compiled a nice simple one. The choices are endless with green smoothies however so this is purely a guide. The only thing stopping you is your imagination!
I cant say I’m sold on green smoothies just yet so I asked the experts – you! – about different combinations that were a hit in your house. Thank you so much! I now have a huge list of combinations to try.
I have done some experimenting as well and you will see the (very few) combos that I liked. Mine are very very basic however. Baby steps!
Here is lots of great ideas for you from the TRTLMT community:
- Green apple, mint, ginger – Wendy KW
- Spinach, avocado and lots of apples – Amy B
- Cucumber, Watermelon and Spinach (or Kale) – Sally H
- Cucumber, grapes, spinach – Hayley M
- Orange, green apple, 2 passionfruit, mango, baby spinach leaves, ice and a little water to thin. Serve over ice – TRTLMT
- Spinach leaves, banana, pineapple, coconut milk – TRTLMT
- Spinach and green apple (I also used some apple juice to thin this – TRTLMT
- Mango, coconut milk, water, spinach – TRTLMT
- Pineapple, lime juice and some zest, coconut milk, ice, spinach – TRTLMT
- 1 large handful kale, 1 large handful spinach, Unsweetened almond milk, Half banana, 50g blueberries, Chia seeds, Lots of ice, Pea protein powder and sometimes I add raw almonds – Kylie W.
- For me, a quick and simple one is water with kale or spinach, banana, blueberries and a few super foods like chia or maca. It’s purple in colour so my 2 year old loves it – Joanne G.
- Frozen spinach, mint, coconut water, cacao, prunes, some ice – Janelle A
- Pineapple, apple, orange, kale, lime and chia – Nadine S
- Piña colada: pineapple, banana, spinach, light coconut milk, coconut water, chia – Justine C
- Here’s a nice light one I made this week. Makes enough for 3-4 glasses. A good handful baby spinach, 1 Lebanese cucumber, 1 banana, 6 strawberries, Splash of vanilla, 1 Tbsp chia seed, 6 to 7 ice cubes,Water or water kefir until you can just start to see it appear between the vegetables and fruit (sorry, I never measure). You can use milk as well. Blend 1 min speed 10 – Marit BK
- Pear promise: 2 cups water, 1 cup spinach, 1 banana and 2 pears – even our DD 3.5 yrs old drinks a glass – Sheelagh L
- Baby spinach, cucumber, pineapple and mint – Lorraine C
- Baby spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, green apple, kiwi fruit, lemon or lime, passion fruit and chia seeds. Coconut water and ice – Rachel R
- I love 1 cup spinach, one frozen banana and 1 cup coconut water – Rayleen H
- I am loving Kale, mint plus jest and flesh of 1/2 a lime. Also do one with Kale, apple, avocado, mint, spinach and cucumber – Robin C
- Handful of oats, milled for 10 secs speed 9. Add one banana, handful of berries, milk of choice (usually 300-400ml) and some ice… Blend 20 secs speed 9. Feeds one mummy and two small girls (Add another banana if want it thicker) – KT
- I’ve been having these for lunch everyday this week. Spinach, apple ginger orange and coconut water, even my 4 year old loving it too! – Ana B
- Kale, spinach, apple or pear, mint lemon and ginger. Coconut water – Helen B
- I make it up as I go but spinach is a must, normally mint too then depends on what’s in the fridge, banana, kale, cucumber, parsley, frozen mango – Kathryn V
- Kale, banana, almonds, 2 dates, frozen berries, maca powder, spiriluna, cacao & cacao chips (choc) sooo yum! Mixed with a can of organic coconut water!!!! – Marcia E
- Frozen banana, vanilla protein powder, spinach, Greek yoghurt, natural peanut butter and almond milk – Leigh King
- 3 dates, one banana, 2 handfuls baby spinach, teaspoons raw honey, hemp seeds, chia seeds, super green powered, handful ice cubes, and coconut water it water start with less water then add more if u like a thinner consistency! And also can add really anything zucchini, cumber, lemon, celery etc. just try stick to one fruit per smoothy! Enjoy – Fleur A
- Apple and celery juice(freshly squeezed) baby spinach mint and cucumber. Add heaps of ice!! –
- Pear, mango, spinach, lime, coconut water and chocolate protein powder – Toni P
- Apple, cucumber, celery, kale, coconut water – Ginny L
- Dragon fruit, honey dew melon and coconut water – Ginny L
- Apple, pear, kale, cucumber and coconut water – Ginny L
- Baby spinach, Kiwi – skin on, Green apple – skin on, Orange, Cucumber – skin on, Green tea, LSA & chia seeds – Nikki L
- 1-2 cups coconut water, 1 mango, 1 banana, 2 lrg handfuls baby Spinach, 6 ice cubes and 1-2 tbsp chia seeds – Cass G
- 1 cup of kale, 1/2 cup of parsley, 1 apple and 1 banana. I make enough for a month and freeze them in zip lock bags. Just check in the thermomix with some water for breakfast – Lauren M
- Handful of Spinach, 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 carrot, 1/2 grapefruit or lemon, 1 celery stick, 2 tablespoons chia, handful blueberries. Handful of ice and 350 mas water. Makes a huge glass (breakfast) plus a large shaker cup that I then take to work for morning tea – Lea JP
- A handful of kale and baby spinach, half a cucumber, grapes/figs/pears or one piece of whatever fruit I have, a quarter of an avocado, mint, parsley, coconut water, one stick of celery and a tablespoon of chia seeds and half a tablespoon of acidopholus powder the mint almost makes it taste like a spearmint milkshake lol – Emma WP
- I do a handful baby spinach and a handful kale. About the same amount of frozen berries and one banana. The a cup or so almond milk and 2 teaspoons spurilina with either a tsp honey or rice malt syrup. This makes enough for 2 big or 4 sml one’s. You can also prepare in advance so I usually make a batch enough for 2-3 days – Julene B
- Baby spinach, Coconut water, Passion fruit, Pineapple, Mango – Leisa B
- Cucumber, zucchini, spinach, kiwi, frozen banana, green apple, coconut water, maca, turmeric, cinnamon ans lemon – Karen B
- I made green juice today. Lettuce, celery, spinach, banana, pear, apple, ginger, turmeric, lemon juice and water – Carrie H
- Kid friendly version is 2 bananas, mango, pineapple (1/2), cup of ice, cup of water and 2 cups spinach – Natasha C
- Coconut water, pink lady apple, lime (peel off), frozen banana, spinach, ice – Shayne C
- I love cucumber, spinach, apple and watermelon, ice, lemon juice – Kat B
- Pineapple, mint, coconut water – Sally M
- Blueberries, kale, strawberries, banana, milk – Tina N
- Mixed berries, water and kale – Nik C
- Peach, coconut water, pineapple, spinach – Sam D
- Cucumber, spinach and oranges – Amy H
- Green tea, spinach, apple, peaches – Jayne J
- Honeydew, spinach, honey, flaxseed oil – Heidi G