I love testing out new recipes! Cathy sent me this recipe for our Viva Varoma! challenge. She didn’t have a photo so I thought Id give it a whirl so I could show you what it looks like.
This was very tasty. I think the key to this is using good peanut butter. A crunchy style would be delicious. The peanut butter I used today lacked a little flavour.
I love how quick and easy this was. Here are Cathy’s instructions and original recipe.
By: Cathy McF
2 cloves garlic
1 medium brown onion (cut in thin wedges)
15g peanut oil
500g chicken breast fillet (cut into thick strips)
270ml coconut milk
130g peanut butter
20-30g soy sauce (depending on how salty you like it)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp chilli powder (this is very mild but is too hot for my daughter, so adjust to taste)
300g jasmine rice
300g veggies of your choice (I use capsicum strips, julienne carrot, small florrets of broccoli & snow peas)
1. Weigh 300g rice into Thermo basket (rinse well with cold water while garlic & onion aren’t sautéing then set aside).
2. Put garlic in TM bowl. Blitz – Speed 10 / 3-4sec
3. Add onion wedges and oil to bowl. Sauté – Varoma / Speed 2 / 5min
4. Add chicken, 30ml (ONLY) of the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, coriander & chilli to the bowl. Mix – Reverse Speed 1 / about 20 sec (just long enough to mix all ingredients and coat chicken in sauce)
5. Line Varoma tray with (well wrung out) wet baking paper. Pour chicken mixture onto baking paper, ensuring some holes are unblocked to let steam through. Place tray inside Varoma dish and put lid on.
6. Pour water and remaining coconut milk into bowl (no need to wash bowl after removing chicken mixture). Put basket in place in the bowl. Lock the lid on and place Varoma, with chicken, in place on top). Cook – Varoma / Speed 4 / 20min
(if you haven’t already cut up your veggies, you can do it while the rice and chicken are cooking)
7. Remove rice and put into ThermoServer. Insert butterfly onto bowl. Carefully pick up chicken mixture in baking paper and pour into TM bowl. Add a little water to the bowl if there is not enough sauce. Replace lid. Put carrot, capsicum & broccoli into Varoma dish, replace Varoma lid and place back on top of bowl. Cook – Varoma / Reverse / Speed 1 / 7min
8. Add snow peas to Varoma. Cook – Varoma / Reverse / Speed 1 / 3min
9. Remove butterfly from bowl. Add veggies into the bowl and mix with chicken and sauce gently. Serve and enjoy!
Makes approx. 4-5 servings.
This makes enough for 3 adults & 2 kids meals in our house.