Apologies for the crickets and tumbleweeds blowing through the website over the last two months. I am currently undergoing a website revamp so I have been working on that and cooking away behind the scenes so when the new site is ready I will have so many delicious recipes for you and your family to enjoy! I can’t wait to show you the new site. Exciting times ahead! (Also, apologies for the pop up upon entering the site! I just wanted to make sure you didn’t think I had vanished).
I have been experimenting with tomato sauce and finally mastered a sauce my kiddies adore! It isn’t as tart as store bought but has a hint of sweetness that makes it very palatable for the kiddies. This has quickly become my go to sauce recipe. My boys now prefer this sauce over store bought (hooray!). Now, it does have some sugar in it (hence why it taste like store bought). You can leave this out however it will alter the taste substantially. You can use dates in place of the sugar if desired.
The trick to keeping this sauce nice and red is using fresh, in season tomatoes. Sauces turn orange when using tomatoes not in season (Thank you MasterChef for that tip!).
This recipe features in Our Make Your Own Bonus Issue for subscribers to The 4 Blades Magazine. This was a bonus subscriber only issue released with The Budget Issue. Subscribe today to get your copy of the Make Your Own Issue.
Looking to save money in the kitchen? Look no further than The Budget Issue of The 4 Blades Magazine. There are 45+ tried and tested, budget friendly recipes to suit a wide range of tastes and dietary requirements. From budget bites to your eating out favourites we have re-imagined what it means to eat on a budget, there is something here for everyone.
Tell me more about The Budget Issue:
- Impressing your friends does not mean you have to break the budget. In our Bring a Plate section we have Smoked Salmon Blinis, Brown Sugar Butter Wings and Bruschetta 3 Ways (You will not believe the 3rd!)
- We teach you how to make the most of what you have already got with our Back of the Pantry section including Rustic Slow Cooked Pies, Asian Noodle Cakes and more.
- Your classic favourites in our From the Foodcourt section including a Burrito Feast, Krispy Fried Chicken and more.
- Wow your friends with favourite meals that you would usually expect at restaurants. Pulled Pork & Slaw Sliders, Thin Crust Pizzas and Chicken Parmy, Gluten Free options too!
- Feed the whole family while saving mega bucks with what we are sure will become new favourites like our Big Pot of Beef, and our Quick Pad Thai.
- We have got budget friendly meals the kids can make, desserts and vegetarian options too!
A monthly subscription is only $4.99 which gives you access to the latest issue, all subscriber-only Private issues and any issues released while your subscription is current. To purchase an individual issue is only $6.49. Want to try before you buy? Click Preview to download an introduction to The Budget Issue, including a full contents and two bonus recipes. (Note: prices listed are in Australian dollars, but you will be charged the equivalent in your local currency).
Love this recipe? Subscribe to the TRTLMT daily newsletter and never miss a newly posted recipe just as great as this one! Or join up to our monthly one for all the latest TRTLMT news. Subscribe to my newsletter here.
Don’t forget to hang out with TRTLMT in all the cool places!