I didn’t have any breadcrumbs in the freezer and no bread left to make any so I experimented tonight. This is my take on krispy fried chicken.
This was a massive hit. I only got the tiniest of pieces. Will be a regular here with salad during summer. Would make yummy burgers too.
This makes quite a bit of coating. Store remainder in an airtight container.
Krispy Fried Chicken
Delicious served on its own, in burgers or wraps.
- 2 eggs, beaten into a bowl
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into 5 strips each
- 2 tablespoon salt, less if preferred
- 1.5 tablespoon black peppercorns or 1 tabs ground black pepper, less if preferred. See note.
- 1.5 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 350g plain flour
- Place all spices and herbs into bowl.
- Blitz on speed 10 for 30 seconds. Scrape down. Repeat. You are wanting a fine grind.
- Add flour and blitz on speed 10 for 20 seconds.
- Have a taste of your flour. You can tweak the quantities used to suit your tastes. Add additional flavour of needed and blitz again on speed 10 for 30 seconds to ensure its well combined. If you feel the flavours are too intense you can add more flour.
- Pour 1/3 of the flour onto a plate.
- Coat chicken pieces in egg and then flour. I then put them in egg and then flour again. This gives it a real crispy coating. Double coating is the key to really krispy chicken but not essential.
- Place oil into pan on a medium heat. You need enough oil to shallow fry your pieces.
- Fry a few strips at a time. Don't overload the pan.
- Cook until white and cooked through. The time will vary on the size of your pieces.Just watch them.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Use rice flour in place of flour for a gluten free version.
- If you are unable to have egg, buttermilk is a good substitute.
- These can be cooked in an oven or air fryer if preferred.
- This may be too peppery for some so you can reduce the pepper by half.
The Road to Loving My Thermo Mixer https://trtlmt.com.au/