Every few weeks I spend a few hours on a Sunday preparing a few things to have handy in the freezer in case of a last minute dinner is needed.
My freezer is very quickly becoming my best friend. I have lots of last minute dinners in there particularly for the kiddies if needed.
My kiddies love chicken nuggets. I mean they REALLY love chicken nuggets. I watched a Jamie Oliver documentary years and years ago and since then can’t buy store bought ones. I think the homemade ones are delicious and aren’t too time consuming. I make these and freeze them for a quick last minute dinner. I usually serve them with steamed veg and mash, salad veggies and cubed cheese or in wraps with salad. They even make a great burger.
NOTE: I freeze these at the raw stage and just pop into an oven from the freezer to cook when needed. I also freeze at the cooked stage and then they only require a quick reheating. I don’t notice a difference in either when cooked.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 4 strips each
- 2 eggs lightly beaten, in a bowl
- ½ cup of plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper, in a bowl
- 4 pieces of day old bread
- Small handful of parsley
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Place cheese into bowl. Blitz for 5-10 secs on speed 9.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Turbo until coarse crumbs.
- Place half of the crumbs in the bowl. Top up the bowl as needed. Freeze any leftover crumbs that haven’t come in contact with raw chicken.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut chicken into four strips for each breast.
- Coat chicken in flour and dust off an excess.
- Dip into egg mixture.
- Coat in breadcrumbs and place on to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Once you have a tray full bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. This of course will depend on the size of the fingers. If you are wanting a crispier coating spray a little olive oil over the fingers. A little goes a long way.
- You can cook this in a frying pan in oil if desired.
- You can add other veg to the breadcrumbs. Spinach works really well.