I just realised that I have never posted my Passata recipe on the blog. I have quite a few recipes to post that uses it so I thought it is about time to upload it.
Everyone has their own take on Passata. Generally it is pure tomatoes with nothing added. Others will add flavouring like garlic or herbs. This is my basic one that includes a hint of garlic, salt and a little olive oil to smooth it. Traditionally seeds and skins are removed but due to the power of the Thermomix I have kept them.
You can use this like you do tomato puree or diced tomatoes on lasagnes, bolognese etc. It also makes a great pizza base sauce.
Simply cook everything in a large saucepan over low-medium heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Process in a blender or processor on high until smooth.
- 1.5kg tinned whole tomatoes or fresh
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
- 10g olive oil
- Place everything into bowl.
- Cook at 100 degrees, speed 2 for 25 minutes.
- Blitz on speed 10 for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- If using fresh tomatoes you may find its a bit runny. Simply cook at 100 degrees, speed 2 for 10 minutes if you want it slightly thicker.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal.